SPREADING HAPPINESS AND JOY WITH FAMILY AT HEART.
Happiness and joy must be running in the veins of Tom Surma, barmanager at Restaurang Familjen in Gothenburg. Always with a smile ready to share and with an inexhaustible source of local jokes from Gothenburg to tell, he is serving amazing cocktails with the obligatory ingredient love in every glass at a restaurant awarded for its big heart and cordiality.
– With no doubt, this is what I really love to do! The best part of being a bartender is that you have the possibility to bring some happiness and joy to people’s life, even if it’s just for a little while, smiles Tom.
MAKING GUESTS FEEL AT HOME
Warmth, love and cordiality shall characterize a visit at Restaurang Familjen. That’s their promise to their guests.
– I really like to take care of guests. When people come to our restaurant they are looking for a couple of hours of rest. They want to eat good food, drink delicious cocktails and have a great time. My job is to make that happen, says Tom.
– Familjen means family. We would like our guests to have the feeling that our restaurant is like their extended living room and that they are a part of our family. Familjen is my heart, he adds.
A CHANCE THAT TURNED OUT PERFECTLY RIGHT
Tom grew up with his family in Lund in the south of Sweden, playing basketball and doing some music as MC/rapper. After highschool he didn’t really have a plan for his future career, so when his friend Maria asked if he was interested in applying for a bartender school in Gothenburg he said yes and took the chance.
– When I did my internship I really felt that bartending is my thing. And here I am, 17 years later, still going to work every day with the feeling that I’m doing what I really love to do in life. Also, I’m not a morning person, so working nights when I’m at my very best, is absolutely perfect for me, laughs Tom.
HERNÖ IS A LOVE STORY STARTING 2016
As one of the competitors in Hernö Gin Cocktail Awards 2016 Tom didn’t know what to expect when he came to the High Coast of Sweden. He was totally unprepared, he didn’t know what to forage and changed his recipe three times before ending up as the winner of the competition.
– I had tried Hernö Gin before, but the whole thing with Hernö changed a lot this first time when I was visiting the distillery and the region. To be up there, breathe the air, feel the soil and get to know the people around the brand. Now it’s a love story, Tom points out.
INSIGHT: WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE NATURE
Tom returns to The High Coast of Sweden regularly and has been working in the bar at Hernö Gin Cocktail Awards for two years now, thrilled to meet all the people, serving amazing cocktails and to share all the love and the joy.
– Hernö Gin Cocktail Awards is the coolest competition ever. I learned to trust myself out there in the woods 2016. And my strongest impression of it is the insight that we have to take care of the nature, he states.
An insight in line with the core values at Familjen where the availability of local and seasonal products decides the menu and where Tom is spreading happiness and joy with his extended family; teammates and guests.
TOMS ADVICE TO BARTENDERS CONSIDERING TAKING PART OF HERNÖ GIN COCKTAIL AWARDS:
• You have to! Just do it. And be yourself.
TOMS ADVICE TO GUESTS AT HERNÖ GIN COCKTAIL AWARDS:
• Bring your friends.
• Bring a smile.
• Leave your car at home.
TOMS THREE DON’TS AT HERNÖ GIN COCKTAIL AWARDS:
• Do not ask for a Vodka drink.
• Do not leave before party is over.
• Do not ask me to tell local jokes from Gothenburg, because I will never stop.
5 cl Hernö Gin
2 cl fresh lemon juice
2 cl simple syrup
2–3 spoons of smoked sourcream
Dryshake that! Take a cold Collins glass, add 3–4 cl soda water. Shake the other ingredients with ice and strain into the glass. Some ice cubes and a metal straw and you’re done!
Cocktail creator: Tom Surma, winner of Hernö Gin Cocktail Awards 2016. Note: ”Fil” is the Swedish word for sourcream and is pronounced almost like the prename of the musician Phil Collins.